How are people different from everything else God made? Plants. Fish. Elephants.
Genesis 2:7. the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living soul.
When God made the first person, Adam, something very special happened. God didn’t just speak Adam into existence like he did everything else. Adam was formed by God. Have you ever formed something, maybe out of clay or playdough? That’s how God made Adam’s body. And then the Bible says that God breathed into Adam and he came to life. He became a living soul.
Did you know that you are also very special like Adam? Like Adam you are a “living soul.” In fact, just like Adam you have three parts: a body, a spirit, and a soul.
Just like Adam, God formed your body. He chose your skin and eye color, how tall or short you would be, and even how many hairs you would have on your head. Your body is pretty amazing isn’t it? That’s why God wants us to take care of our bodies and respect other people’s bodies too. We must never hurt other people or make fun of people for how they look because God made them.
And just like Adam, you have a spirit. You can’t see it but it’s there. Your spirit is the part of you that lets you be loved by God and love like God. Your spirit is what connects you to God and to everyone else. It’s invisible, but it’s there keeping you connected by love.
And finally, just like Adam, you are a soul. When your body and your spirit come together you become a soul. What’s a soul?
- A soul is someone who wants things.
- A soul is someone who thinks things.
- A soul is someone who chooses things.
- A soul is someone who feels things.
You are very special to God. God loves every part of you – your body, your spirit, and your soul.
But all three parts of you are also damaged by sin. Do you know what sin is? Sin is the selfish thoughts and choices that we make that disobey God’s love. Sin is powerful and can hurt us from the inside or from the outside. Sin hurts our bodies, and our spirits, and our souls.
- Our bodies get hurt or sick. Have you ever been hurt or sick?
- Our spirits want to be selfish. Have you ever been selfish?
- Our souls get sad or angry, think wrong thoughts, and make bad choices. Have you ever gotten sad or angry and made a bad choice?
But there’s good news! The Bible says that Jesus came to fix all three parts of us. Jesus is our savior who came to die for our sins so that we can have a new spirit, a new body, and a new soul.
- Jesus gives us a new spirit the very moment we choose to trust him – now we can love each other like he does.
- Jesus will one day give us a new body – then we will never be hurt, or sick, or tempted to sin again.
- Jesus will slowly change your soul – over time you will learn how to trust God and love like him.
Because of Jesus we can have a new spirit, body, and soul.
With Jesus we can let God love us, and then choose to use our bodies to love and help others.
DO SOMETHING TOGETHER
Form something out of clay or playdough together. Talk about how God took the time to mold and shape us. And only God could bring his creation to life. And that’s what he did with us!
Thank you that I am a spirit, and a body, and a soul. And thank you for loving every part of me. Help me to trust you and make good choices and do kind things.
To see today’s post from the TLIC Daily blog –> Click Here